What is the full form of MSEB?
The full form of the term MSEB is Maharashtra State Electric Board. This is the electricity distributing body that works under the state government of Maharashtra, India. This is one of the electricity generating utilities in India, and it was formed on 20th June 1960 under Section 5 of the Electricity (Supply) Act, 1948.
Formation of MSEB
Before the formation of MSEB, the Bombay Electricity Board which formed on 6 November 1954 was in the progress of distributing electricity to Maharashtra state till 31st March 1957. After some years this company was renamed as Maharashtra State Electricity Board. MSEB and Enron worked together and form the Ratnagiri Power Plant.
Branches of MSEB
In 2005, Maharashtra State Electricity Board splits into 4 different companies by following the Electricity Act 2003 of the Government of India. The reconstruction companies are as follows –
- MSEB Holding Company Ltd.
- Maharashtra State Power Generation Company Ltd. (MSPGCL or Mahanirmiti or Mahagenco).
- Maharashtra State Electricity Transmission Company Ltd. (MSETCL or Mahapareshan or Mahatransco).
- Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Ltd. (MSEDCL or Mahavitaran or Mahadiscom).
Key responsibilities of MSEB
The main motive of this company is to handle all the external communication with consumers.
- Mahavitaran has a responsibility to distribute electricity to all over in Maharashtra state.
- It buy energy from Mahanirmiti power plants or from other state electricity board or from other private electricity generating companies.
- To measure how much electricity have they distributed to public by providing electricity meters to their consumers.
- They also take responsibility for ensuring that no life is harmed by electricity.
- MSEB acts as the head of the other three companies and handles customer complaints, electricity bills, etc.
Also read – full form of MPSC?