What is the full form of MSEB?
The full form of the MSEB is Maharashtra State Electricity Board and its full form in Marathi is महाराष्ट्र राज्य विद्युत मंडळ. This is the electricity distributing body that works under the state government of Maharashtra, India. This is one of the electricity generating utilities in India, and it was formed on 20th June 1960 under Section 5 of the Electricity (Supply) Act, 1948.
Prior to 2005, the Maharashtra State Electricity Board (MSEB) was responsible for electricity generation and distribution in Maharashtra.
History of MSEB
Before the formation of MSEB, the Bombay Electricity Board which was formed on 6 November 1954 was in the progress of distributing electricity to Maharashtra state till 31st March 1957. After some years this company was renamed as Maharashtra State Electricity Board. MSEB and Enron worked together and form the Ratnagiri Power Plant.
Branches of MSEB
After the enactment of the Electricity Act in 2003, the State Electricity Board was restructured and on June 6, 2005, three companies, Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (MSEDCL, also known as Mahavitaran and Mahadiscom), Maharashtra State Power Generation Company Limited (MSPGCL, also known as Mahanirmiti or Mahagenco), and Maharashtra State Electricity Transmission Company Limited (MSETCL, also known as Mahapareshan or Mahatransco).
Key responsibilities of MSEB
The main motive of this company is to handle all the external communication with consumers.
- Mahavitaran has a responsibility to distribute electricity to all over in Maharashtra state.
- It buy energy from Mahanirmiti power plants or from other state electricity board or from other private electricity generating companies.
- To measure how much electricity have they distributed to public by providing electricity meters to their consumers.
- They also take responsibility for ensuring that no life is harmed by electricity.
- MSEB acts as the head of the other three companies and handles customer complaints, electricity bills, etc.